May 16, 2009

{weeds that choke}

Photobucket

Whenever I’m outside weeding, I’m always reminded of the symbolism & similarities between garden weeds and spiritual weeds. There is so much to ponder about weeds! Today, when I saw this weed choking this beautiful flower, I couldn’t help but think that a neglected garden can result in weeds that threaten to choke and destroy the flowers beauty. In that same way, a neglected spiritual garden can result in bad choices & habits that threaten to choke and destroy my inner beauty. This weed must have been there for quite some time because it had made itself quite at home, wrapping it’s way around this poor flower. In order to save this flower and pull the weed, it took much more care to remove it, a lot more time and patience than I had with all the other weeds.

I’ve always known that you must yank the weed out by the roots. Sometimes this is a hard thing to do, especially when that weed has been there a long time. But it’s not enough to just mow over the weeds either. Sometimes you have to dig deep to get to the root. It’s seems that weeds grow everyday, but who said you have to do it alone? You can ask for help from the Master Gardener. I’ve realized that in order to have a beautiful garden I must weed everyday. When I neglect my garden, which I often have, it is a lot more difficult and time consuming to regrow the beauty. The deeper the roots, the more difficult they are to pull out. The more mature a weed gets, the more seeds it spreads, which results in clutter and in this case, a choking hold on that pure flower. It is the same with thoughts & weaknesses, bad habits & sins.

We are all gardeners whether we like it or not. We have to decide whether or not we will weed our spiritual gardens. I don’t want to be a gardener who spends my days pulling weeds from the soil while ignoring the spiritual weeds that threaten to choke my soul…

2 comments:

mckenna said...

What a beautiful photograph to accompany such a beautiful message!! I'm so glad you shared this! It's something I think many of us have heard and thought of before but it's such a wonderful reminder. And really, the picture adds so much to the thought! I'm so glad you stopped to document this!!

Jess said...

Great analogy! I think my spiritual garden is in some need of tidying up!