February 25, 2009

Things I miss...

back at the ranch...

Photobucket
my muddy buddies....
Sammy & Twinky

Photobucket

these photo's make me both sad and happy...

Photobucket

Sad because I miss taking off on them whenever I want to... Happy because of the memories I have riding with my dad, feeling I was born a century too late, just like him.

Photobucket

Sad because the muddy winter takes it's toll on them, you can see it in their eyes... Happy because spring is near. Hope I can sneek away one of these days...

Photobucket

Wish I had the photo's of my favorite horse Gringo. He was my childhood horse and I loved him. He was the cutest, sweetest, most lazy horse I ever met. My dad eventually gave him away because he was too lazy, a slow rider. He was a morgan horse. Brylie's middle name is Morgan, she will just die when she finds out I named her after a horse. I just loved him. He was just like a big dog. He would cuddle up to me, lay in our laps, he would even play fetch... We also had a mustang named Cocoa, my mom's favorite horse. She was a very timid, shy horse, and she didn't know how to buck. My dad got rid of her too, I don't remember why. Dixie was Sammy & Twinky's mom. We just recently gave her away, she was really old. She was a snobby horse, but very obedient. She was high strung that's for sure, Nate really liked to ride her. Now all that is left is Sammy & Twinky. They are cute little horses. I love Twinky because when she was born she was such a sweety and she still is, she was me and Chelsey's baby. I remember her laying in our laps and she would follow us everywhere. Sammy on the other hand was a little stinker, and still is. I think he got a little bit of the fistiness from his mom. But he has a cute mischievious personality and loves attention.

I write this really for me, to bring my memories to life. I miss riding. I miss the mountain breeze against my face as I ride. I miss being in the untouched wilderness with my dad. Fly fishing. Exploring. I'm thankful for those happy memories. They make me want spring to come so much faster. It's not like those days are over or anything, it's just that I am a mom now (which I wouldn't trade for anything in the world) and it's a little harder to find the time to take off, especially on a horse!

I am so thankful I found someone with the same passion for the outdoors as much as I do. Knowing that there are more memories to come with him brings me so much joy. Just being home is an adventure in itself.

..........................................................................................................

Things I miss... part 2

As I wrote this post it got me thinking about other stuff that I miss back at the ranch. I don't want to necessarily miss these things, but I want to bring my memories to life through writing them down. Like I said before, this is for me, and if you don't really care, then you don't have to read. Simple as that.

'Back at the ranch' is only a few towns away, I go there often, and we still make many memories there. I guess I'm just missing my childhood. I don't know how to put into words why I miss these things... I miss my mom. I miss her hugs. I miss talking with her. We still do. I miss my little sister. I miss goofing around with her. We still do. I miss my brothers when they both lived at home. I miss them making fun of me. They still do. I miss my dad. I miss his 'very buttery' cooking. I miss our vacations together. I miss staying up late. I miss Sunday drives. I miss water fights. I miss jumping on the tramp. I miss family prayer. I miss Christmas morning. I miss silly singing. I miss being a kid... I have to stop now, I'm starting to tear up, just one of those days.

Thanks for letting me be myself.

6 comments:

mckenna said...

I love this post. There's something so bittersweet about growing up. Leaving behind all of those beautiful memories is so hard!! And so is being a mother. But it's so wonderful too! And you have so many memories to look forward to that include your beautiful new little family!! I'm glad you're willing to be yourself and share it with us. :)

Kelley said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who gets nostalgic for the "old days" every now and again. It's funny how no matter how old we get, we never really grow out of our childhoods. Little known fact, I LOVE horseback riding. My Uncle was a barrel racer, and I used to warm up his horses for him, I LOVED it. So anytime you want to get away for a girls' day, you know I'm there! I've been sick the last week and so has Landon, but if we're better, let's do something this weekend. We miss you guys! And I can't WAIT for spring either!

Jess said...

I remember your horses! Especially how lazy Gringo was. You had to kick him like 30 times to get him to even trot! I loved your horses. Do you remember that ride you and I went on in the middle of winter? By the time we got back, it was dark and we were freezing. You ran your frozen fingers under warm water and it made your fingers burn so bad that you started to cry and then I started to cry because I didn't know what to do! We had some good times... this may not have been the best one. :)

Shari said...

At least one day you will be able to teach Brylie to ride and yu can do it all over again. Then you both can go ride and whoever else you might have added to your family. Memories like you and your dad will be the same as you and your kids.

Andrew and Charonne- said...

I so know how you feel, its like if you knew being a kid would go by so fast you would have chearished (cant spell) it more. I do this often. I wouldnt trade being married to Andrew and having oue own life, but sometimes its hard to remember how it used to be, mom and dad taking all stress away. High school and the free fun you had with friends, your only respsonsibility was homework.............i totally know how you fell. I always want my wedding day back, I want to go back and enjoy it more, not be so nervous,and stressed. Just to have had fun with Andrew. I think that life is just like that., IN 20 years from now we will be looking back at today and remembering.............

Jesse and Stephanie said...

Wow, I really don't know why, but I almost started crying.